Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Healthy Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins



"Back to school. Back to school, to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool. I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, I hope I don't get in a fight. Ohhhh, back to school. Back to school. Back to school. Well, here goes nothing." Adam Sandler - Billy Madison.....one of my favourite movies ever!!

Last year more times than I care to admit. my kids would come home with most of their lunch and snacks uneaten which would make them super grumpy (think hangry) while I got dinner ready. This year I am making snacks for their lunches that I know they will love, while also making them healthy and sneaking vegetables into them!  Muwhahaha!......yes I sneak vegetables into my kids foods because let's be honest here, not all kids like all vegetables.  So sometimes you have to be a ninja mom with your baking skills ;)

I found this recipe and fell in love!  So many healthy ingredients and zucchini!  My kids loved it and only one of them noticed the zucchini....

Thomas: Mom, what's this green stuff?
Me: Ummmm, do you like them? (totally stalling here because I know if I told him it was zucchini, he would not eat them!)
Thomas: they are so good but what's this green stuff?
Me: Oh it's just magic.
Thomas: Oh ok!  Mom you are the best cooker baker ever!
Me: **heart melts**

Side note: I only have one hand mixer but have 7 beaters and only one of them fit in my hand mixer.  How does one lose just ONE beater?



Recipe (adapted from www.ambitiouskitchen.com)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Servings: 12



Ingredients
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 small to medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg whites
1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini after the water has been squeezed from it)
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt 
1/2 cup mini or regular chocolate chips



Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and generously spray inside of liners with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Squeeze shredded zucchini of excess water with a paper towel! This is an important step, once the water is squeezed out, re-measure to make sure it is 1 cup.
3. In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon; set aside.
4. In bowl add the mashed banana, oil, honey, vanilla and eggs; mix until smooth.  Add in zucchini, applesauce, and yogurt and beat again until well combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Remember not to over mix the batter -- it helps them stay moist! Gently fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
5. Evenly divide batter into muffin cups.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from muffin tin and place on rack to cool.  Enjoy!



No comments: