Friday, September 5, 2014

Delicious Hearty Granola Bars




My kids can be picky eaters and it makes me a little crazy. I get it, new foods are scary and little taste buds are not as matured as mine are but come on kids! It drives me crazy when they outright refuse to even try something different! I sometimes will bribe them with a marshmallow if they try a bite of a new veggie or try my new concoction of a smoothie. (Yes I said marshmallow. And if you have never bribed your kids with a marshmallow or another highly unhealthy treat than kudos to you for being Super Mom :) )

My kids love brussel sprouts, mind you they are tossed in butter and crispy bacon but they still eat them! But they wouldn't even try a bite of my granola bars until I bribed them. My Chloe loves all foods and is always my taste tester! I'm pretty sure she will eat anything except eggs, and I don't blame her, I have to be in the right mood to eat eggs.

Last weekend I tried out this recipe I found on ohsheglows.com for 'Feel Good Hearty Granola Bar's. I was nervous, as I always am when trying out a new recipe but they turned out amazing and are the perfect 3pm snack or after school snack to keep kids calm while you make dinner (and drink a glass of wine ;) ). They are loaded with so much deliciousness it's pretty amazing that these little bars are so healthy for you! No sugar, no flour, no eggs! But they do have nuts so keep them at home :)


Recipe (adapted from www.ohsheglows.com)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Servings: 12-16 bars



Ingredients:
1.5 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium/large bananas)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups rolled oats
1/2-3/4 cup dried cherries or raisins (I used 3/4 cup of raisins)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt or fine grain sea salt, or to taste





Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a large rectangular baking dish (approx. 8.5" x 12.5") and line with a piece of parchment paper so the bars are easier to lift out. I didn't have any parchment paper left but was able to get the bars out in one piece just by gently flipping pan over.
2. In a large bowl, mash the banana until smooth then stir in the vanilla.
3. Place the rolled oats into a food processor and pulse until the oats are coarsely chopped (but still with lots of texture). Stir oats into the banana mixture.
4. Chop the walnuts and stir these, the raisins and the rest of the ingredients into the banana-oat mixture until thoroughly mixed.
5. Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Press down until compacted and smooth with hands until even
6. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, check at 20 minutes, bake until firm and lightly golden along the edge. Place dish on a cooling rack for 10 minutes then carefully slide a knife to loosen the ends and lift out. Place granola slab on a cooling rack for 10 minutes and once they are cool you can cut the slab into bars.




These bars turned out really well! I love them and will definitely be making them again!



No comments: